Mr. Csillag is a skilled and cross-disciplined litigator who represents both corporate and individual clients as plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of federal and state matters. His cases have been wide-ranging, involving fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, real estate, antitrust, securities, partnership disputes (business divorces), employment disputes, theft of trade secrets, cybercrime, unfair competition, trusts and estates, and healthcare fraud including cases involving the Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act. He has experience handling all phases of pre-lawsuit and pretrial litigation, including early and alternative dispute resolution. Mr. Csillag has represented clients in various state and federal civil and criminal investigations, including those initiated by Congress, the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Office of Inspector General. Mr. Csillag also has experience handling state and federal appeals, including a cutting-edge issue involving personal jurisdiction currently pending before the California Supreme Court.
Mr. Csillag's cases include:
- Prosecuting and defending cross claims between shareholders of two companies that own nearly 100 fast and fast-casual food franchises in the Southwest United States. After a group of officers misappropriated company funds, their positions were terminated and their shares purchased over their objection. The case involves intricate factual and legal issues relating to misappropriation, unclean hands, and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Represented national retailer in connection with parallel criminal antitrust investigation and civil class action involving price-fixing allegations. After considerable work and negotiation, the DOJ ultimately agreed to settle on extremely favorable terms.
- Represented corporate officer in parallel federal and state civil suits involving theft of trade secrets and cybercrime statutes, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Wiretap Act, Stored Communications Act, and state analogs.
- Representing California-based company in commercial dispute with out-of-state competitor that raises novel issues on personal jurisdiction currently on appeal before the California Supreme Court.
- Represented and obtained a favorable settlement for a judgment creditor in suit to set aside fraudulent asset transfer.
- Represented former officers and directors of public company in SEC insider trading investigation that resulted in SEC electing to take no action.
- Represented national health-care organization in responding to congressional subcommittee investigation into fetal-tissue donation practices and related accounting issues.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in retaliatory discharge case in Arizona state court, beating the main claims with a motion for summary judgment.
Pro Bono Activities
- Represented Brennan Center for Justice at NYU in connection with California Public Records Act requests to LAPD.
- Represented underage rape victim in connection with application for U Visa.
- Represented federal inmate in application for clemency under guidelines promulgated by former Attorney General Eric Holder.
Prior Professional Experience
- O'Melveny & Myers, LLP (2009-2016)
- Extern: Honorable Dean D. Pregerson, C.D. Cal.